9/2/09

Chutney Chicken Salad

Everyone has a strong opinion about the way they like their chicken salad. Usually I prefer mine plain...mayo, celery, salt, and pepper. That was until I made Chutney Chicken Salad, closely based on a recipe out of Come On In.

The verdict is still out on whether Stephen Grande will like it or not. When I asked him last night while lying in bed if he wanted peanut butter and jelly or chicken salad for lunch (because I'm a good wife that packs his lunch everyday) he enthusiastically said "chicken salad."

I was quick to say..."But I put grapes in it."

"Why?" he said and then went on..." There are 2 things that should not be in chicken salad, grapes and pecans."

Defensively I explained "I didn't put pecans in it."

"Good"

"But it does have a few almonds."

"Just pack me peanut butter and jelly."

"No, I'll just pick out the stuff you don't like."

This morning on his way out the door...I tell him "I packed your lunch, it is a chicken salad sandwich and I picked out all the stuff you don't like."

He nods..."Ok, thanks."

I add "It does have a little apple in it too."

All he could do was laugh and roll his eyes. I think he will like this chicken salad despite a little fruit and nuts. Normally he is one of the least picky eaters I know and is always appreciative of everything I make. This whole exchange gave us a pretty good laugh.

Enough of that....here's the recipe...it is good stuff (in my opinion).


1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Major Grey chutney

Mix mayo and chutney together

8 chicken breast halves (I used 2 rotisserie chickens, both white and dark meat shredded)
2 stalks celery diced
3 green onions diced
1/2 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and chopped (pour over a little lemon juice to prevent browning).
1/2 cup red seedless grapes halved
1/2 cup sliced almonds or pecans toasted (I prefer almonds)
1 cup cooked brown rice

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

M picks out the grapes too. I suppose we could safely say that men under the age of 35 do not like fruit in their chicken salad.

Lynn Beck said...

Men don't know what they are missing!

leslie the young mother said...

looks yummy SB! Matt doesn't believe that any fruit should be near cold meat. Why are men so funny about that stuff?

Related Posts with Thumbnails