12/1/09

T-day and a Seasonal Salad

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving day. For the first time since we have been married, we celebrated with Stephen Grande's side of the family.

We all agreed that we were most thankful for

1) the 2 new babies born to the family this year, Stephen Small and his adorable cousin Georgia

AND


2) completion of proton radiation treatment for our niece, Lucy, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor about this time last year.

At the table my father in law read Psalm 136:1...Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. His love endures forever. This is one of my favorite passages of scripture. It is such great reminder of the truth that His love does indeed endure forever. And it just doesn't get any better than that.

Unfortunately, I have no decent pictures from that day except of the salad I made as my contribution to the Thanksgiving feast. This salad is fantastic and I think perfect for the fall and winter season.

I will just share the ingredients and leave the proportions up to you!

baby Romaine lettuce
toasted sliced almonds
thin slices of red onion
crasins
crumbled feta cheese or bits of cooked bacon (both optional)


For the vinaigrette...okay for this I'll give the proportions...and I recommend you follow them..

2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Give it a whirl in the blender or food processor to emulsify. Chill in fridge for about an hour. Drizzle desired amount over salad 10 minutes before serving.

Quick confession...this is not my recipe. It is based on a salad that was served at my baby shower. I changed it up a little because I never follow a recipe to the letter. I always make alterations based on ingredients I already have stored away in my pantry. At my shower, the salad had mandarin oranges on it...which were good...and a nice color. I think it had strawberries too. Thank you to whoever made this salad and for sharing the recipe. It obviously left and impression on me!

Happy salad making...

And HAPPY DECEMBER!!!! More to come soon!

4 comments:

Lynn Beck said...

The salad looks great. I'm so glad that Lucy's treatments are done. I've followed her blog faithfully and she and her family are in my prayers.

from "your biggest blog fan"

Lindsay said...

You always have had a flare for salads! I'm straining to see what juicy gossip is on the cover of that People...

Lindsey Henig said...

SB, tell me one more time the kind of camera you have???? I simply must break down and buy it. It's glorious. Oh, and delectable looking salad, some of my fave ingredients there! xoxo

whitney said...

SB, I have a recipe very simlar to this! I'll have to share!

Related Posts with Thumbnails